Today is Thanksgiving and in the spirit of the day’s festivities, I’d like to share two of my favorite side dishes that are a must-have on my Thanksgiving table. These are not your everyday green beans and cranberry sauce!
Thanksgiving Green Beans:
4 lbs green beans (we’re feeding A LOT of people)
1 lb of bacon
1 onion, diced
- Rinse and cut your green beans into 2″ pieces and blanch (add beans to boiling water, let boil for 1 minute, transfer beans to an ice bath), then set aside.
- Slice bacon into small pieces and fry on medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and drain most of the fat, leaving about 3 TBSP.
- Reduce heat to low and caramelize onions in the same pan.
- Add green beans and bacon back into the pan and cook on high until hot.
Orange and Ginger Cranberry Sauce:
16 oz fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
1 TBSP finely grated fresh ginger
- Cook cranberries, sugar, and ginger in a saucepan on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cranberries begin to burst (about 7 minutes).
- Add orange juice and simmer until thickened.
- Serve hot or cold. (I prefer hot.)